MEDIA STATEMENT: Jayson Gillham responds to open letter from Melbourne Symphony Orchestra's legal representatives

MEDIA STATEMENT 

Jayson Gillham responds to open letter from Melbourne Symphony Orchestra's legal representatives

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Melbourne, 1 September 2024

Jayson Gillham, the internationally renowned pianist, issues the following statement in response to the open letter dated 30 August 2024 from Arnold Bloch Leibler (ABL), legal representative of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO). This letter was received following Mr Gillham's initial correspondence sent to the MSO on 22 August 2024, outlining his concerns and proposed resolutions. Mr Gillham is represented by Sheryn Omeri KC and Michael Bradley of Marque Lawyers in this matter.

A copy of the ABL letter to Marque Lawyers dated 30 August 2024 can be viewed here.

Jayson Gillham said: “I am deeply disappointed by the tone and content of ABL's letter on behalf of the MSO. The letter mischaracterises the events that transpired and fails to address the serious issues raised in my initial correspondence. I feel compelled to set the record straight and highlight the key points in this matter:

  1. Chronology of Events:

    • On 11 August 2024, I performed a recital at the Iwaki Auditorium, which included a piece titled "Witness" by Connor D'Netto.

    • Before performing "Witness," I provided context about its dedication to journalists in Gaza, stating factual information about the deaths of Palestinian journalists.

    • On 12 August, the MSO informed me that I would not be permitted to perform at the scheduled concert on 15 August.

    • On 14 August, the MSO re-invited me to perform on 15 August, but with new conditions not present in the original contract.

    • The MSO published a statement on their website that misrepresented my views and implied I had caused there to be safety concerns were the concert on 15 August to go ahead (in my absence).

  2. Legal Implications:

    • The actions taken by the MSO constitute direct discrimination because of political belief or activity, which are protected under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (VIC) and also violate protections under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).

    • These actions infringe my right to freedom of expression and my workplace rights.

  3. Initial Requests: In an effort to resolve this matter amicably, I had requested:

    • A public apology from the MSO, which in private discussions with my agent, its management had promised to give me before publishing a public statement that did not include the promised apology

    • An affirmation of artists' rights to speak freely

    • Compensation for reputational damage caused by my being cancelled by the MSO

    • Future performance opportunities to repair my professional standing

    • A commission of a piano concerto by a Palestinian composer

    • A donation to the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music in Palestine

  4. MSO's Response: The open letter from ABL, representing the MSO:

    • Dismisses the serious nature of the MSO's actions, even though it admits that I expressed a political opinion, which Victorian Equal Opportunity Legislation protects everyone’s right to do

    • Fails to acknowledge the legal and ethical implications of their conduct

    • Mischaracterises my actions as an abuse of position and improper behaviour, ignoring rights under Victorian and Australian law

    • Refuses to allow me to have any input into the terms of reference of the Garrett review, even though it was the MSO’s treatment of me which led to the review being established.

I stand firmly by my actions and words. As an artist, I believe it is not only my right but my responsibility to use my platform to shed light on important issues. The factual statement I made about the plight of Palestinian journalists is backed by reputable sources and aligns with international law.

The implication that my actions caused safety concerns is unfounded and deeply troubling. It appears to be an attempt to deflect from the real issues at hand and to stigmatise legitimate political expression.

I remain open to a constructive dialogue with the MSO to resolve this matter in a way that respects artistic freedom, upholds principles of non-discrimination, and reaffirms the important role that artists play in society. 

This situation raises important questions about artistic freedom, the role of cultural institutions in public discourse, and the rights of artists to express views on matters of public interest. I hope that this incident will lead to a broader conversation about these crucial issues within the arts community and beyond.”

About Jayson Gillham

Australian-British pianist Jayson Gillham is recognised as one of the finest pianists of his generation. He has performed with leading orchestras worldwide, including the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Sydney Symphony, Melbourne Symphony, London Philharmonic Orchestra, and many others.


Media Contact: Samuel Cairnduff 

RESONATE Communications 

samuel.j.cairnduff@gmail.com  | 0401 396 755




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jayson Gillham | Melbourne Town Hall Concert, 11 August, 2024

Media Release: Australian Youth Orchestra to premiere Iain Grandage's ‘Overt’